Spring Cloud Config, part of the Spring Cloud platform, provides server and client-side support for externalized configuration in a distributed system.
Config Server provides a central place to manage external properties for applications across all environments. As an application moves through the deployment pipeline from dev to test and into production you can manage the configuration between those environments using the config server.
Spring Cloud Config framework provides following features for server-side applications
1. Ability for any Spring Boot application to be embedded with config server using the annotation @EnableConfigServer
2. Ability for server application to Encrypt and decrypt property values
3. Provides a resource-based, HTTP API to manage external configuration.
Spring Cloud Config framework provides following features for client applications
1. Ability for client applications to bind to the Config Server and initialize Spring Environment with remote property sources
2. Ability for client applications to Encrypt and decrypt property values.